Questions about the cloud
- What cloud orchestration platform do you use?
Apache CloudStack is an open source software designed to deploy and manage large networks of virtual machines, as highly available, highly scalable Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform.
- What is an instance?
An instance is a virtual server, each instance is a separate virtual server.
- Will I have console access to my instances?
Yes. We provide console access via VNC through our control panel.
- What operating systems do you offer?
Presently, CentOS 6, CentOS 7, Debian 8.7 Ubuntu 14, and CoreOS.
- Are my instances on a private network?
Yes. Tenant privacy is handled through isolated private VLANs.
- Are my instances behind a firewall?
Yes. There is a firewall that bridges your isolated private VLAN to the internet. It is configurable both through the API and WebUI. For your convenience it is configured to allow all outbound upon account creation.
- Is there a load balancer?
Yes. There is a load balancer which is configurable through the API or WebUI.
- Is there an integrated VPN?
Yes. There is an integrated IPSEC VPN which is configurable through the API or WebUI.
- What kind of virtualization do you use?
We use Xenserver 6.5.
- Do you offer Windows servers?
Yes. We are SPLA licensed and can provide Windows servers to our Enterprise customers. However, these templates are not provided by default.
- Can I get a custom plan of CPU, RAM, or Disk?
Yes. If your cloud deployment doesn't fit into one of our pre-defined plans or requires a more advanced, higher performing, or custom configuration our engineers are here to work with you through that process.
Questions about networking
- Who are your bandwidth providers?
- How much outbound bandwidth capacity do you have?
We have 40 gigabits of outbound bandwidth capacity total, configured across multiple 10 gigabit ports.
- How does your DDoS protection work?
Our cloud based DDoS protection protects against SYN floods, UDP floods, volumetric attacks, and other DDoS attacks. This protection is fully integrated into our network architecture and is "always on".
- How do you connect to Amazon?
- How do you connect to other service providers?
We peer on the popular San Francisco Metropolitan Internet Exchange (SFMIX) on a 10 gigabit port. Through this exchange we are directly connected to Google & GCE, Linode, Digital Ocean, Cloudflare, and more.
- How do you charge for bandwidth?
We provide the first 10,000 Gigabytes of data transfer free of charge. This is far more than most people use, see our pricing here.
Questions about integrations
- Do you have a Restful API?
We have three different restful APIs, you're welcome to use which ever one serves your needs. Our cloud orchestration platform is Apache Cloudstack which has a fully functioning API built in. In addition to this we provide Apache Cloudstack EC2stack and Apache Cloudstack GStack.
- What is EC2stack?
It is an API wrapper that maps Amazon Cloud (EC2) API to the Cloudstack API.
- What is GStack?
It is an API wrapper that maps Google Compute Engine (GCE) API to the Cloudstack API.
- What programming languages can I use?
- Can I integrate with Terraform.io?
Yes. Terraform.io has a CloudStack Provider.
- Can I integrate docker into your cloud?
Yes. With all the orchestration software available think of us in terms of least cost container routing. We offer CoreOS as one of our template options.
- Is there a command line tool I can use?
Yes. Apache Cloudstack provides a command line tool called Cloudmonkey.